11th Century – In the Domesday Book of 1086, the manor of Oversley is recorded as a posession of the Count of Meulan.
12th Century – Oversley is recorded as a castle in 1139. The medieval Oversley estate, which included a deer park, was under the control of the Boteler family.
13th Century – The original medieval castle had ceased to exist by 1283, but the surrounding site continued to be occupied by an unfortified manorial property known as Oversley Court.
14th Century – William Boteler died on August 14 1369, and the ownership of Oversley changed several times after this as a result of marriage or sale.
15th Century – From the late 15th century, Oversley was no longer regularly occupied by the lords of the manor.
16th Century – In 1537 the manor of Oversley was bought by Thomas Cromwell, Earl of Essex and chief minister to King Henry Vlll. He was beheaded after his neighbour Sir George Throckmorton gave evidence against him at his treason trial, and then bought Oversley in 1540 for £774 9s 2d.
17th Century – A park keeper’s lodge or tower on the estate is developed into the property that became known as Oversley Castle. A timber framed barn – now the Grade ll listed Tudor Barn – was at the centre of the estate farm.
18th Century – The earliest known surviving lease indenture for Upper Lodge Farm, otherwise known as Oversley Upper Lodge or Oversley Castle, is between Edward Morgan and the Throckmorton Estate. Maps from this period indicate the oldest surviving phase of the castle is the square tower.
19th Century – A castellated façade was created at Oversley Castle, apparently because in 1818 the Prince Regent, later King George lV, remarked to the 2nd Marquess of Hertford, who lived at nearby Ragley Hall: “My dear Lord Hertford, your view would be improved by a castle.” A large crenellated octagonal tower in poor repair was demolished to the level of the main roof in the late 19th century.
20th Century – Sir William Throckmorton sold the Oversley Estate on June 17 1919, to David Greig, who owned the chain of David Greig grocery stores in the south of England. He extended the property and modernised it in an Art Deco and Arts and Crafts style. In 1970, Oversley was bought by the Dillon family, owners of the national chain of newsagents. The estate was sold in 1973 to the Wills tobacco family and in 1986 it was purchased by the Price family.
21st Century – Oversley Castle was purchased in 2012 by Paul and Anna Harvey from the Price family. The couple, who had already successfully restored and revived a number of period properties, spent over two years on design and planning work, and in 2015 work began to transform Oversley Castle and the properties in its grounds into 14 unique luxury homes.